Job Vacancy – Parliamentary and Constituency Intern
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an Intern within the office of Dr Philippa Whitford. The successful post-holder will spend 12 months working as an assistant to Dr Whitford in both the constituency and Westminster offices, learning the functions of supporting a Member of Parliament and providing essential support to Dr Whitford as she carries out her constituency and Parliamentary activities. The role will have a strong focus on administration and social media but there will also be opportunities to undertake other tasks relating to constituency casework and Parliamentary business.
Position: Intern to Dr Philippa Whitford MP (12-month contract)
Hours: Full-time (37.5 hours) per week
Salary: £18,000 p.a.
Location: Irvine and Westminster
- Diary and Email Management;
- Arrange and organise meetings and events;
- Attend meetings and events, take notes and produce summary of actions for follow up;
- Respond to routine correspondence and enquires;
- Liaise with Internal and External Individuals, Organisations and Stakeholders;
- Support the MP’s social media and press activity;
- Monitor media coverage and brief the MP on relevant issues;
- Prepare and provide briefings and supporting information for parliamentary debates; committees and events;
- Draft and Submit EDMs and PQs;
- Support constituency casework.
Essential Skills & Experience:
- Graduate in a related discipline;
- Excellent administrative and organisational skills;
- Familiarity with and working experience of New and Social Media;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- The ability to prioritise work and meet tight deadlines;
- The ability to work independently with minimal supervision, following instruction, in a solution focused manner;
- Strong IT skills;
- An interest in current affairs and a good knowledge of Scottish and UK politics.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Knowledge of EU policies and procedures;
- Experience of web and video editing, gif creation and graphics development for Social Media;
- Experience of a similar Parliamentary / Political Role.
Applicants for the post should be aware that whilst the post in based in the constituency office, regular travel to London will be required to assist Dr Whitford in her Parliamentary duties. Travel may also be occasionally be required for attendance at meetings, events, and training.
The successful candidate will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO).
To apply, applicants should submit their CV together with a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 10th January 2020. Interviews will be held shortly thereafter with a view to the successful candidate commencing in February.
Please note that whilst we would aim to acknowledge all applications, this may not be possible depending on the volume received.